As an Independent Administrative Institution under the Japanese Government, the Japan Arts Council carries out its activities according to the "Annual Plan" and the "Mid-term Plan", that are formed to attain the "Mid-term Objectives" appointed by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.
The main objectives of the Council are to preserve and promote traditional performing arts, and to promote and popularize modern performing arts in Japan.
To realize these objectives, the Council carries out the following projects.
- 1. Assistance for Cultural and Artistic Activities.
- (1)Japan Arts Fund
- (2)Grant for Culture and Arts Promotion
- 2. Public presentation of traditional and modern performing arts.
- 3. Training artists of traditional and modern performing arts.
- 4. Research, collecting data, and exhibition of traditional and modern performing arts.
- 5. Lending out of the theatres and other facilities to the public.